Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Great Outdoors

Although our Memorial Day weekend plans did not include camping or boating, we did spend the majority of today outdoors. We also managed to cram a lot into one day without feeling too rushed.

This morning, we got up early and helped Tony plant the garden. I went shopping with Aidan and Sophie, so I may have gone a bit overboard on the plants. For example, we have about 10 cucumbers and I think maybe 13 tomatoes. We do eat a lot of fresh veggies, though, and I'm going to try my hand at canning some of it with mom this summer.


After finishing with garden, Tony headed off to work and the kiddos and I got cleaned up to head to the Strawberry Festival. Of course, we had a themed dress for Sophie!
We ate a yummy lunch of homemade fried chicken, dumplings, and bread with strawberry butter. It was of course followed with a build-your-own strawberry shortcake. Afterward, we walked around, visited, shopped and played games. The boys raced soapbox derby cars, which was fun.
After the festival, we headed home for a little break. While the kids chilled, I cut the grass. Then we loaded up and headed to the Clarksville Pool. I was a little nervous about taking the three kids by myself, but we did just fine. The late afternoon was a perfect time to go. The crowds had cleared out and I could let the boys play with their friends without needing them right next to me. Sophie kept me busy running back and forth in the shallow end. When we got home from the pool, we did quick baths and I got the kiddos settled with a movie while I went outside to finish the grass and watering the garden. I love to plant flowers, even though I'm no good at keeping them alive. One of my longtime favorites is a hydrangea. When I was little, the cabin at Rough River used to have huge bushes of them and we'd pick them. I had a slew of them pressed in my journal for years. Tony found one for me a couple of years back, but it's been slow going. Finally, it seems to have done really well this year. It's beautiful - and it seems to accidently have been cross pollinated, because it has blue, pink and purple blossoms.

In another life, I think I would enjoy being a nature photographer. Here are a couple shots of my lillies. I have a couple from students that we've planted along the side of the house. This first pinkish colored one was an impulse buy. Again, what happens when Aidan and I are allowed to shop alone.

Memorial Weekend is off to a great start! If I just had all my school work done and not hanging over my head, it would be even better!

No comments: