Although we live on the "sunny side" of the river, our family loves all things Derby. During Derby festival week, I have my students writing and doing all sorts of art projects concerning the events. Every year , the kindergarten puts on the Kinderderby. It starts with the kindergarteners putting on a show and breakfast for their parents and grandparents. Then, we all head outside for the race.

The students work hard making their jockey silks and stick horses, and their eighth grade big buddies are their "trainers". They practice galloping in PE. Then the kiddos run in qualifying races and the winner of each race competes in the Kinderderby. Sad to say, Andrew and his horse "Bolt" did not win, but they did have a good time. Tony jokingly spent his time talking with the other dads about where the mint julep stands and betting booths were. Here's Andrew and his trainers and the post:

Here's a video of Andrew's actual race, although parts of it are hard to make out.
Here's the tired jockey after his big race:

The big event on Thursday of Derby week is the Pegasus Parade. We've gone every year for the past several years. This year, the weather was absolutely perfect. Our seats weren't great, but we were able to see the most important parts.



Since Tony's now writing for Louisville.com as a sports reporter, he spent most of the week at Churchill Downs. The kiddos and I had Friday off for the Oaks (everything in the Louisville Metro area shuts down for Derby). While Tony was off covering the Oaks, the kids and I ran some errands and then spent the gorgeous afternoon at the zoo with my mom.
Friday night, Tony had a press pass to cover the American Lung Association Derby Eve Gala at the Seelbach. He was able to take me along as his photographer. It was a great excuse to get dressed up and enjoy the Derby festivities. Here are some of the shots from the Gala:

Mmmm...a Vegas theme lent itself nicely for the Seelbach's chef to create a yummy dessert. I also was able to try the official drink of the Oaks - the Lily. While I liked it better than a mint julep, it still isn't my favorite.

After getting the information and pictures we needed, we stopped into the Seelbach bar for a few minutes to hear some jazz. We had our picture taken outside the famous hotel on our way home.

Derby Day dawned very rainy after such a beautiful week. Tony headed off to the track and I took the kids to Stephan's to celebrate both Derby and his girlfriend's graduation from UofL. We were outside, and I couldn't keep Sophie out of the rain, puddles, and mud. By the time we headed home, she looked like she'd been in the infield at Churchill - muddy and soaked.

We came home in time to give Sophie a warm bath, bring the dog in out of the rain and make a mint julep to watch the Derby.

My horse did not win the Derby, but the two I pulled from the pot at school came in second and third, so I should see some pay out! Derby is over for another year.
No comments:
Post a Comment