Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strawberry Picking and My Two Cents

I have two different things I'd like to vent about...just in case anyone cares. The first is Immediadent in Clarksville, who advertises emergency dental care. Not quite. Yesterday, the boys had dentist appointments. We came home and ate lunch, and Sophie headed for a nap. Unfortunately, she slipped and went face first into her bed. Just typing this is making me cringe. There was a TON of blood - all over both of us - and I had to sit on the floor with her for fear that I might pass out. I called Tony and luckily he was on this side of the river. He came straight home, looked at her mouth, and suggested we might want to have it looked at. By the way, when someone with EMT training tells you to have something looked at, you listen. Tony rarely sees the need for a doctor. So while he dealt with Sophie, I called the pediatrician. They recommended we take her to a dentist. Since our dentist didn't answer their phone immediately, I left a message but went ahead and took Sophie to Immediadent. The place was completely empty - waiting room and patient rooms - but my bleeding daughter and I were asked to wait while they contacted the insurance company to check on coverage. Never once did they ask to see her injury, even though I explained several times that I'd like her seen quickly. I even offered to pay them out of pocket immediately so she could be seen, and I was told it would be a few more minutes. 35 minutes after we arrived (no one else was there the entire time, and no one ever looked at Sophie) my dentist called and said they would see Sophie as soon as I could get there. I told Immediadent to forget it and we left.

Of course, as soon as I walked into Dr. Wach's office, Sophie (who was STILL bleeding, although being a very good sport about it) was ushered back. After examination and x-rays, it was determined that she had busted her bottom lip, caused trauma to her gums, and hit one front tooth extremely hard. The blood was coming from the tooth. The lip has already healed, but Sophie is on a soft-food diet and we are on watch with the tooth. If it gets infected, the tooth may have to be pulled. The other problem is that the root/nerve might be damaged, causing the tooth to die. That could happen any time between now and when it falls out at age seven or so. Needless to say, I'm fairly paranoid and worried that she's going to fall or get hit again before everything has healed.

I didn't take any pictures because a) I was too covered in blood and b) Once was enough - it's still gross to look at 24 hours later. Moral of my first vent? Don't use Immediadent for a true emergency. PS - I've already emailed them with a complaint.

So, on to something happier - strawberries! This morning, Mom and I took the boys and Snaggletooth to Huber's to pick strawberries.
Sophie was particularly thrilled with the tractor ride, which I was sure was going to jar that tooth right out of her head.
The first thing we noticed? A frog that the farmer said was eating strawberries. Sophie and Aidan had to check it out.
The kids were all excellent strawberry pickers this year, and our boxes got filled a little more quickly. They all had different methods. Sophie picked them by the handful, and her selections had to be sorted back out. Andrew talked and ate more than he picked. Aidan was actually the best of the three.




We finished up before it got too hot outside, and my goal tonight is to make some freezer jam. We also stopped on the way home and picked up the makings of strawberry shortcake for dessert!
So, here's my second vent for the post (two cents worth, remember?). I am completely fed up with the Acer computer company. Tony bought me this little purple netbook for my birthday last year, which makes it about 17 months old. I fell in love with it. I needed something of my own that I could take to UofL with me for class.
First, I had problems with the internet. Our great computer teacher at school fixed that. Then, in May, the hard drive crashed. I've gotten two educated opinions, and the consensus is that it will cost more to fix than the computer is worth. (I checked - pretty much true). So, I popped into a local computer place called "Wipe and Restore". He said he would buy it off of me - he'd give me cash for it and fix the cord on our other laptop free of charge. Done! I'm very sad to see it go, but glad that the big laptop will be back up to speed for me to take my exams. I was in love with my little purple computer, and I feel like it needs a memorial service or something. At any rate, this deal turned out okay for me, but I still feel cheated by Acer. I would not recommend them to anyone and have also emailed them to that effect.

Which brings me to the end of the rant. Sophie and her soft food diet - she decided that chocolate pudding would be much better if she painted her arms and her tray with it.
While I went to get a washcloth, she also painted her toes with it - no kidding - and told me "I paint my toes with pudding, Mommy". This is when you know lunch time is over. I put her in the tub totally clothed - bib, diaper and all. For now she's napping quietly, but as soon as she wakes up she'll be off and running again.

No comments: