Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Vacation Odds and Ends

(Subtitle: I got a new camera for Christmas and I like playing with it)

We've kept ourselves busy since Christmas. Most importantly, we all got caught up on our sleep on Monday morning. Monday evening we celebrated Christmas with the Courtney side of the family. We had dinner, opened gifts, and the kids had a great time playing with their cousins.

On Tuesday, I started cleaning up the Christmas debris. First mistake: putting my face too close to something I was opening. A plastic piece flew into my open eye. After a few choice words, I kept cleaning. About an hour or so later, I was nursing a killer headache and commented to Tony that my vision was blurry. I admitted what I had done, and he sent me to the eye doctor (who, luckily, had an opening). After waiting an hour, the doctor told me that I scratched my cornea. She also informed me that she was impressed with my pain tolerance - she said with a scratch like the one I had, most people wouldn't even be able to open their eye. She dilated my pupil to keep the swelling down and prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection. I had a picture of my eyes, but it was pretty scary so I'll refrain from posting it. For the next day and a half or so, though, I felt like someone had punched me in the eye. I'm such a winner.

Another thing that happened in the clean-up process was that we decided to take Sophie's toddler bed down.
As you can see, she's getting a little big for it. We're planning to put my canopy bed in it next month for her birthday, but for now she's sleeping my old daybed that's been in her room in place of a changing table.
Despite her smiling face, after she went to bed the first night Tony went in to check on her only to discover her missing. This is where we found her - asleep in Bubby's bed.
Santa also left Honey some treats in her stocking. Honey loves treats. Sophie loves Honey.
Thursday was another unseasonably warm, sunny December day. We've been so blessed this fall and winter. I'm a little nervous - it can't last forever. But we'll take them as we can get them. Thursday I took the kids and headed to the zoo. It was a great trip - the zoo was empty, the kids got to run off some energy, and I got to play with my camera. Bonus for everyone.
It seems like we've had lots of giraffe babies at the zoo. They are so cute and it was first on Sophie's list to see.
I love this picture! Andrew takes such good care of his little sister. Sophie loves her bubby, but lately she's taken to calling him "Ann-do" instead, which makes me sad. She's growing up too fast!
I have a similar picture of myself at a park when I was little. And by similar, I mean the silly facial expression.


The baby polar bear is getting big, too! Today we got to see her swim, which was a first for us. She's so cute! We watched her for the longest time.

Of course, we couldn't pass up the zoo playground on such a gorgeous day!




This morning, I decided to try out a new hairstyle on Sophie that I saw on Pintrest. By the way, if you're not on Pintrest, you should be. Email me and I'll send you an invite. I thought her hair turned out okay for the first try.
This evening, Aidan finally got to try out his science kit from Santa. We made slime. He played with it for the longest time. Although the kit was not an expensive one, I appreciate the fact that you can use it multiple times.

No comments: