Sunday, September 20, 2009

The last weekend of summer

The past week and a half has not been the best for the Singleton household. Aidan and I were both sick, and then poor Sophie caught the virus. (Thankfully, it was only a virus and not THE flu). Sophie's settled in her ears and she had a nasty ear infection. Last weekend she was spiking fevers of 104, and the antibiotic was causing a rash and upset stomach. We called urgent care twice and visited the pediatrician twice before it was all said and done. We finished the antibiotic today and she seems to be back to normal.

Last week, St. Anthony invited all the grandparents to come to church with the primary students. Mom and Dad were able to make it, along with Tony's Memaw. Andrew was really excited to show off his room.




On Friday, the Louisville Zoo hosted the last of their "Zoo-tember Movie Nights" and showed the Wizard of Oz. We took a picnic from Wendy's, but Sophie decided maybe her bowl would taste better.

Since the movie nights are sponsored by McDonald's, Ronald made a guest appearance during the games before the movie started.


Saturday morning, Aidan had another soccer game. I don't want to duplicate pictures from last weekend, but here's my incredibly gifted son playing defense. He's so good, he doesn't even need to face the other team during the game. (I think this is equivalent to playing in the outfield dirt during teeball, which he never could do thanks to a fake playing surface).
On Saturday evening, summer officially came to an end for us. We headed to the Hess's farm in Lanesville for their annual St. Anthony Parish Men's Club Pig Roast. The boys look forward to this event all year. The Men's Club supplies the pork, and everyone else brings delicious covered dishes and desserts. We have Mass outside, eat and generally just hang out. There are hay rides, a bon fire, corn hole, volley ball and football, as well as a huge dirt pile that was just calling Aidan's name. This was the first year that the boys were really old enough to go play without constant supervision, and I was able to enjoy my drink and dinner with the other adults (and Sophie!) I love hanging out with our friends outside of school, where I don't have to be the teacher, and I love seeing all my students outside of the classroom. The boys love playing with their friends. Here's Aidan, enjoying his dinner, midconversation with his buddy Jackson.


Someone made adorable piggy cookies in honor of the occasion.

Sophie and I took one hayride with the boys, but then we sent them with other adults. I was a little nervous trying to hang on to her and my seat at the same time.


Toward dark, Tony was put in charge of building the bonfire (leave it to the firefighter). One of our parishoners owns a fireworks store, so he always puts on a good show after dark. Sophie even seemed to like it!


Lots of time, people stay and camp after the pig roast. However, with the weather threatening rain no one stayed. The weather stayed beautiful until the end of the evening and we had a great time. We can't wait until next year!



















No comments: