Sunday, January 24, 2010

100 Days and an "unbirthday" celebration

100 days of school!!! It may not seem like a big deal to most people, but ask any primary teacher or student and you'll get an enthusiastic response. To be quite honest, I'm not sure why we celebrate the 100th day of school, and I've been teaching first grade for eight years. But the kids like it, so there you go. We do some fun things in my classroom, but it is truly an all day event in kindergarten. All the parents are invited to spend part of the day helping, and the kids make hats and necklaces to wear along with other major craft projects like sewing. Luckily, Friday is Tony's day off and when he arrived he had to help the class with stitching. I stopped by during my planning period and didn't have to help with anything - it was show and tell time.
The very best thing about 100 day? In Indiana it means you only have 80 days left until summer vacation!

Friday evening, we celebrated my "unbirthday" with mom and dad. They'll be gone on my actual birthday, and with Sophie's birthday coming up soon we were running out of days. So we went out to eat two weeks early to celebrate my 31st. I chose the Bonefish Grill, which I highly recommend. It was delicious! Then we came back to the house for a yummy chocolate cake that mom made. We still haven't managed to get a "1" candle, so we improvised.
Saturday was the best day I've had in a long time, and I didn't take a single picture all day! I'm so mad at myself.

My best friend is getting married in April and she ordered her wedding dress in Cincinnati. She invited all her bridal party to go with her to pick it up. Thanks to Tony graciously keeping the kiddos, I had a free day. Shannon and I, along with her mother and future mother-in-law and sister-in-law, went to pick up her dress. We stopped for coffee and lunch and just had a great day. I got home around three to a mostly clean house and happy kids. We went out to eat at Tumbleweed with Tony's mom for dinner and ran into another friend that I hadn't seen in ages. She lives in Indy and was home for the weekend. What a nice surprise!

After dinner, we left Tony's mom with the kids and went to meet Dave at Phoenix Hill Tavern. Tony and I decided we hadn't been to PHT since 2002, and with fairly good reason. It's pretty much a college bar, albeit one with a lot of character. But Saturday night a band call 100% Poly was playing. They're a 70s band that dress the part, and most of them are from Southern Indiana. I wish I had taken some pictures. The crowd was mostly our age and older, and we met up with some of the Young Republican group we hadn't seen in awhile. There were some pictures taken, so if I can get my hands on them I'll share later. We only stayed for the first set and were home before midnight, which made both of us chuckle at what party poopers we've become when the 40+ crowd can outlast us and we leave without buying a drink. Even going home early, I really enjoyed myself.

So, it was a weekend for catching up with old friends. We don't do that often enough and I had a great time. Now I have to get back to the real world and some school work!

No comments: