Sunday, August 19, 2012

Football and Fairs

This picture has nothing to do with the post title or the rest of the pictures...but I love this outfit and I had to share it.

Now, on to football!  This year is the big time for Andrew....third and fourth grade play tackle football. 
Tony is helping coach, which is cool for a lot of reasons.  For the first few years after we got married, Tony helped coach the 5th and 6th grade team.  Then, for a lot of different reasons, he stopped.  He's pretty thrilled to be helping again.  Also, for the first time it's Tony's past that is coming full circle.  Tony used to play football for SAS, even though he went to Sacred Heart.  We always had a strong team and his school had no team, so it became a tradition (which still continues) for the Sacred Heart kiddos to come play for the Bears.  Ironically enough, I was on the dance team all the same years he was playing football and yet we never met.  I'm sure our moms sat in the stands near each other over those four years!

Since our first game was against Floyd County Catholic, the game was started with a prayer.  THIS is why I send my kids to a Catholic school. 
See #57?  That's my boy!

It was scary to think about the kids tackling each other, but in reality I don't think they were playing any rougher than they did last year - only now they have pads.  Aidan spent the game walking around with his best friend and "soul mate" - they are truly two peas in a pod.  Her dad is coaching as well.

The boys ended up losing 7-6, which I don't think is too shabby.  I have always been proud of my bears as a student and alum, and of course I root for the blue as a teacher, but it's a whole other level of pride to cheer for SAS as a parent.  What a great group of kids and a community to be proud of!

Although I didn't take any pictures (because we needed no evidence), on Saturday evening I was priviliged to hang out with a bunch of moms from school.  We had a LOT of food, a few drinks, and TONS of laughs.  I never traveled in the traditional pack of girls, so I'm thrilled to have such a great group of friends at this stage in my life.

This morning, we got up and headed to the Kentucky State Fair.  The kids have been looking forward to this for weeks!  The pictures mostly speak for themselves:






Ironic, right?  Here, pet this cute baby calf.  Now look at all the ways we can sell her to McDonald's.
This is one of my favorites.  I could have watched the baby ducks for hours.  Sophie was cackling the whole time!




Took this picture with the turkey both for Dad and for Aunt Connie...you can't see it, but the cage was also full of other fowl, which reminded Sophie of Georgia.






We ran into Tony's cousin, Chyanna, and her kiddos.  Nothing like a reunion at the fair!

One of my former students was competing in the State Fair talent competition.  She was amazing!
We had a wonderful weekend!

No comments: