Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend

Sophie's first celebration of our country's birthday was quite busy! We celebrated the biggest part of the weekend. Friday - for the sole purpose of wearing the boys out so they'd nap - we grabbed pizza and headed to the park for lunch. The boys love Lapping Park. It's really close, and for some odd reason, it's rarely busy.
Friday evening, we celebrated the fourth a day early at Mom and Dad's. She invited Aunt Linda and Uncle Steve and Ann and Robert and the kiddos over. We roasted hot dogs and s'mores, and the kids played in the baby pools. I told Hannah and Emma I was hiring them as babysitters!
The fourth of July is Memaw's (Tony's grandma) birthday. The past couple years we've made a tradition of going to Mass with her and then having coffee and doughnuts afterwards. Here are three muskateers in their red, white and blue attire (I think Andrew is mid-sentence):
After church, we went to the fourth of July parade in downtown Jeffersonville. The boys actually got to be part of parade for TaeKwonDo, and they loved every minute of it. Sophie enjoyed her first parade, too.
By Saturday afternoon, Sophie was so worn out she literally just fell asleep on my legs while I was reading and she was playing.
We had plans to listen to the Louisville Orchestra and watch fireworks, but it was raining. Our quick change of plans included steak and home-grown veggies on the grill and ice cream from the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen. To find the fireworks, we headed to the fire station. Of course, the firefighters are better at playing with fire than anyone else. (Except maybe priests, as those who came to our party last year can attest). Although it wasn't Tony and my first choice of activities, the boys had a ball and didn't seem to mind too much.


This morning, we headed to church for Sunday Mass. This really threw the boys off - they assumed yesterday's Mass should have counted. I kind of agreed, after being up late last night.

I had to include this great picture of Sophie in a dress Aunt Connie gave her. She finally grew into it!

No comments: